Definitions and samples
- abandon (v.) to leave; to give up
– He says he was surprised to see the Five Plus One abandon the negotiating table.
- adversely (adv.) in a harmful way; negatively
– What happened to my family adversely affected my whole childhood and later life.
- aggregate (adj.) gathered into or amounting to a whole
– In aggregate, consumer Web companies raised less than $1 billion in the quarter.
- cultivation (n.) preparing the land to grow crops; improvement for agricultural purposes
– Agricultural officials estimate that 170,000 hectares of paddy rice cultivation has been ruined.
- fertilize (v.) to supply with nourishment for plants by adding helpful substances to the soil
– The compost will fertilize the soil as well as providing a layer of mulch to keep the soil moist.